Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives.
Through our mathematics lessons at St Thomas More it is our aim to develop:
- Enjoyment and enthusiasm for mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics.
- Confidence and fluency in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills.
- An ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life.
- An ability to solve problems, by applying their skills to a variety of routine and non-routine problems.
- To reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately.
- An ability to reason mathematically and explain relationships using mathematical language.
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment.
- Initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others.
The school uses a variety of teaching and learning styles in mathematics lessons. Our principal aim is to develop children’s knowledge, skills and understanding in mathematics. We do this through a daily mathematics lesson where children are given opportunities for:
- Practical activities and mathematical games.
- Problem solving.
- Open and closed tasks.
- Individual, group and whole class discussions and activities.
- A range of methods of calculating e.g. mental, pencil and paper and using a calculator.
- Working with computers as a mathematical tool.
- Using a wide range of support resources e.g. number squares, digit cards and number lines.
- Using and applying their learning in everyday situation.
Many thanks to Simon Kidwell and Hartford Manor CP School for allowing us to share this brilliant work.
Times Tables Rock stars and Numbots
The children have their own logins for these and they can be played on any device or laptop: www.ttrockstars/login
Topmarks: online mental maths games
Arcademic Skill Builders